Sunday, August 24, 2014

How to Cut Mango Like a Pro


Mangos are by far my favourite fruit. Yeah, I probably eat more bananas than any other fruit, but to be given the choice between a banana or a mango, the mango would win hands down.

Unfortunately, much of my life wasted away without the knowledge of how incredible this silky, sweet, juicy perfection is. Why was this?
When I was a kid, my mom never bought mangos. She said they were too much work for not much fruit.

I didn't care too much then, because I had no idea what I was missing out on. But then, one night everything changed. I was probably in seventh grade, and I was over at a friend's house. She cut up mango and offered me a piece. My mom's mango- free reign was beginning it's downfall.

I begged for her to invest in some mangoes, and she gave in. Then came the errors many make:
1) it was under ripe when we cut into it.
2) we attempted to cube their flesh of the fruit while it was still in it's skin
3) we tried to remove the fruit from the skin with a spoon

She stopped buying mango after that.

Years later, I gave them another approach, and this time, I won the battle with the mango. And the rest is history. So for all you mango fearers, here's the secret to success in your match against the tricky mango:







This is the best method, in my opinion, to get the most bang for your buck. Cause mangos are expensive. And I am cheap. 

Also, you're probably not going to want to use a peeler that you got for fifty cents at the dollar store, by the way. Believe me, investing in a good quality peeler will be worth it, not only for mangos, but also potatoes, apples, etc.

So enjoy your mango!
~Danielle






2 comments:

  1. What a great post!! I've tried to teach my family how to cut mangos! I've never cut the skin off... I usually just dice it in the skin and then pop the pieces out... what a great idea to remove the skin first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it! It seems like everyone has a different way of cutting mangos, so I just thought I'd share my favourite way!

      Delete