Saturday, September 6, 2014

Layered Berry and Banana Baked Oatmeal

Okay, so I am sorry-not-sorry that I am sharing two oatmeal recipes in a row. These are just sooo amazingly delicious, and I wanted to post them before the fruits go out of season!

My grandma grew up in the Great Depression, and to this day, she does not waste anything. Absolutely nothing. Not an exaggeration.

While this can be an admirable quality that many of us could use more of, it's almost obsessive on my grandma's part. She's walks around her house in the dark to save on the electric bill. Air Conitioning is only for  when company is over. Moldy cheese or bread? Cut off the mold, and eat the rest. But the killer is that after meals, she sweeps the crumbs fallen from the plates onto the table during the meal into her mouth.

Nasty. 

I am not nearly that obsessive, but still,if there is a sane way to avoid waste, I try to take it.

So when I saw the bananas in the fruit bowl were on the verge of blackening completely, and the berries in the fridge were not getting any younger either, I decided to make them into a baked oatmeal.

And let me tell you, not wasting food never tasted so good (definitely a lot better than crumbs from a table)

Layered Berry  Banana Baked Oatmeal
2 Very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tbsp. Milk
1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
1/3- 1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a single-serving ramkin.
  2. Stir together oats, baking powder, and cinnamon. 
  3. Add milk, bananas, and vanilla to the oat mixture. Gently combine.
  4. In the ramkin, layer: strawberries, oatmeal batter, blueberries, strawberries, oatmeal batter, blueberries, oatmeal batter.
  5. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until center is no longer jiggly.
Enjoy!
<3 Danielle


4 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea to make a baked oatmeal... it's something that I never have tried before! Thanks for the inspiration..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Thalia! You should definitely try it; baked oatmeal is so easy!

      Delete