Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Homemade Almond Milk

I used to drink at least 5 cups of cows' milk a day. Seriously. But since I follow about a gazillion food/health blogs, I couldn't help but notice how big of a fad almond milk is becoming-- it's everywhere! So, I did the sensical thing, and tried a store-bought version. My dear fellows, I have never looked back. Although I still drink a bit of dairy milk (only for the extra calcium it provides), almond milk does not stick around long in my house!

I was galivanting around fields of rainbows and butterflies until I read the side of the carton. Whoa Nellie! Sure the first ingredient was filtered water whick was followed by almonds. Then came the storm. Chemicals I couldn't pronounce, and I think I even saw a food dye in there. Uh-oh. That had to go.

But I couldn't just give up almond milk, could I? So I made my own. Wanna know how? Of course you do. And if not, wow. You're missing out!
Soak raw almonds for at least 6 hours. Alternatively, they could also be boiled for at least one hour.
Discard the soaking water and place the bloated almonds and fresh water blender. Blend them until the liquid looks milky and frothy.

Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth, nut milk bag, or a very thin (clean) cloth to remove the almond pulp. 

If you want, experiment with adding extracts, honey, agave, molasses, etc. I've also made this once with peanuts and once with pecans. The peanut milk turned out good, but with a very distinct peanutty taste. I wouldn't use peanut milk in any recipes that would not pair well with peanuts! But then again, everything goes with peanuts, right?

HOMEMADE ALMOND MILK
1 cup raw almonds, soaked in water for at least 6 hours
4 cups filtered water
Any extracts or sweeteners you desire

1) Add all ingredients to the bed of a blender. 
2)Blend until frothy and no longer transparent.
3) Strain through cheese cloth or nut milk bag.
4) Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for
up to one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment