Saturday, June 14, 2014

Avocado Chicken Salad

I've always loved traditional chicken salad, ya know, chopped chicken, salt and pepper, onions and mayonnaise.  But when I changed my eating habits several years ago, I decided the mayo had to go.

But whats chicken salad without mayonnaise? As usual, Pinterest held the answer.  I never actually clicked on a link leading to a avocado chicken salad recipe because I had a better idea.

Remember my awesome guacamole that I shared a while back? Well imagine that married to chicken and a few extra herbs. Yum. Normally, I do not add the feta to the chicken salad, but you can feel free to do so. In fact, don't make a special trip to the store if you're missing a minor ingredient (such as an herb or lime or vinegar)

My cooking philosophy is basically to add everything to taste, and according to whats in the pantry. It has always worked!

 Feel free to use white onions in lieu of red. You also can use extra vinegar instead of lime juice, and vice versa. Have fun with it!

Avocado Chicken Salad
1 cup chopped chicken (I use breast meat)
1/4 cup chopped cucumber
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 1/4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 1/4 Tbsp. lime juice
1 large ripe avocado, mashed well
1 Tbsp. oregano, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. dill
1/2 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper to taste

1) Combine the last ten ingredients (this includes the salt and pepper as one ingredient)
2) Stir in the chicken and chopped vegetables until they are well coated with the avocado mixture.

* I garnished with cilantro, it adds more freshness to the flavor, I'd highly recommend it!

~~{~@ Danielle


No comments:

Post a Comment