Sunday, June 22, 2014

Caramelized Basil Onions

I'm rather picky about my onions. First of all, when cooked, they must be soft; I find it gross when a dish has partially raw onions. Also, they have to have the right mix of sweet and spicy, in that onion-y way to theirs, of course. And lastly, please don't serve me unseasoned onions!

So, on the quest for perfect onions, I developed the perfect recipe, and it meets every requirement! Best of all (for all you sodium watchers) there's no added salt! However, I rarely add any salt to my recipes, so I've become accustomed to unsalty flavors. If you think this needs salt, by all means, add salt!

With only 4 ingredients, these a super easy. Not to mention they have all my favorite things: onions
Pepper
Basil
Butter (let's just be real here!)
I would have added a sqeeze of lemon, but alas, the fridge was barren of the citrus.

Caramelized Basil Onions
2 medium onions
2 Tbsp. Fresh basil, packed
1 tsp. Butter
Pepper, to taste

Melt the butter in a skillet, making sure it coats the bottom. Add onions and saute over medium heat constantly untill they have reduced and turned a soft brown (about 15 minutes). Add basil and pepper and continue to saute until basil has reduced slightly. Remove from heat and serve.

I ate mine with some chicken on a very fancy plate, as you surely noticed above.

~~{~@  Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment